About Mr. Smith
Adam J. Smith is Senior Counsel at Comiter, Singer, Baseman & Braun, LLP. Adam earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in accounting from the University of Illinois, and J.D. and LL.M. in Taxation from the University of Florida. Adam’s practice focuses on U.S. international tax, federal income taxation of business entities, mergers and acquisitions, and tax controversy.
Adam has extensive experience in both tax law and public accounting. Before joining Comiter, Singer, Baseman & Braun, Adam served as a Senior Manager in the National Tax Department of a Big Four accounting firm, where he specialized in international tax and transaction services. His past experience also includes appointments at University of Florida Levin College of Law as the Tax Visiting Assistant Professor and Director of Student Advising for the Graduate Tax Program, and Adjunct Professor of Tax Law. Adam also practiced as an Attorney for the IRS Office of Chief Counsel and served as an Honors Law Intern at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Adam is dedicated to community and professional service. In 2006, he co-founded an international nonprofit organization, where he served on the Board of Directors. He has also served as the Florida Bar Tax Section Fellow and as a volunteer Board Member and Treasurer for the Jewish Council of North Central Florida. Adam regularly presents at CLE and CPE conferences for professional organizations, including the Florida Bar Tax Section, Florida Institute of CPAs, and Columbus CPA Society.
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
Tax Section of the Florida Bar
Fellow (July 2015 – July 2017
The Jewish Council of North Central Florida
Treasurer (June 2016 – July 2017)
Member of the Board of Directors (January 2016 – July 2017)
Link Community Development USA, Chicago, IL and Fort Lauderdale, FL
Co-founder, Director of Finance, Member of the Board of Directors (October 2006 – December 2011)
Formed non-profit corporation that improves educational opportunities for underprivileged children in Africa
Researched and analyzed requirements I.R.C. § 501(c)(3) exempt status and prepared Form 1023 application
Drafted articles of incorporation and by-laws
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, Gainesville, FL
- Master of Laws in Taxation, 2013
- Juris Doctor, magna cum laude – Top 5%, 2012
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign College of Business, Urbana-Champaign, IL
- Master of Accounting Science, 2005
- Bachelor of Science in Accountancy, magna cum laude – Top 10%, 2004
- U.S. International Tax
- Federal Income Taxation of Business Entities
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Tax Controversy
- Tax Law Confidential: Do the Attorney-Client Privilege and the Work Product Doctrine Protect Tax Advice?, The Florida Bar Tax Bulletin, Vol. XXXV, No. 1, Spring 2018.
- Unauthorized Practice of Law and CPAs: A Law of the Lawyers, by the Lawyers, for the Lawyers, 23 U. Fla. J.L. & Pub. Pol’y 373 (2012)
- International Tax Conference Boot Camp, Florida Bar Tax Section and FICPA 2019 International Tax Conference, JW Marriott, Miami, FL, January 9, 2019
- US Tax Reform – Small Business, Individual and Corporate TCJA Update: Understanding New Rules in a New World, Columbus Association of Tax Professionals, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, May 15, 2018
- Tax Law Confidential: Attorney-Client Privilege and the Work Product Doctrine in Tax Practice, Florida State University College of Law Tax Policy Seminar, Tallahassee, FL, October 20, 2016
- Ethics in Tax Law, Annual Update, Florida Bar Tax Section Organizational Meeting and CLE, Amelia Island, FL, July 4, 2016
- Substance Abuse: The Wild Ride of Defining and Applying Economic Substance in Tax Controversies, Florida Bar CLE, Miami Beach, FL, May 20, 2016
- Taxation of Business Deals and M&A Transactions Conference, Florida Bar Tax Section, April 28th,2023