A Palm Beach County Estate Planning Lawyer Addresses Common Concerns About Crafting an Estate Plan
It is fair to say that a properly crafted estate plan, in the hands of a skilled and experienced Florida and Palm Beach County estate planning attorney at Comiter, Singer, Baseman & Braun, has little to no downside, no matter how simple or complex your estate.
The Benefits of Estate Planning
Just a few of the benefits of proper estate planning include:
- Providing for Your Family. You hope that when you pass, your assets are delivered to their intended beneficiaries, commonly your immediate family, as quickly and inexpensively as possible.
- Minimizing Your Expenses. The higher the costs of your passing, the less money will be available for your beneficiaries, again commonly your family. When you pass without an estate plan, the courts are forced to oversee such items as the distribution of your assets, the manner in which your family will interact in the administration of your estate, the guardianship of your children, and the dissolution of your business.
- Get Assets Delivered Quickly. Proper estate planning allows your benefits to be distributed immediately, allowing your family to pay for immediate expenses, such as funeral arrangements.
- Save Your Family From The Difficult Decisions. If your spouse is in a coma or similar condition, can you imagine trying to make that life or death decision? It will, by default, become your decision, and if you have kids, the chances are that or more of them will disagree and may become upset enough to sever your relationship. What about deciding how your interment should be handled? You can ease the burden on your loved ones by deciding about these kinds of issues in advance and planning ahead for it.
The Concerns of Estate Planning
Most Floridians are fully aware of the need for and benefits of proper estate planning, yet many of us simply ignore estate planning for a variety of reasons:
- “I am too young.” Young people feel like they have got all of the time in the world. However, you are never too young to have an estate plan.
- I “can always do it later.” The inescapable truth is that life is unpredictable, and people die at all ages. You never know when your time will come, so you should prepare as though you will die tomorrow. Keep in mind that estate planning is not just for you, but for your family, friends, and charitable organizations as well.
- Fear of contemplating death. Even discussing death makes a lot of people uncomfortable. Avoiding the issue does not make it disappear, and when it comes to estate planning, avoiding it can have severe consequences for your beneficiaries.
- “My estate is not big enough.” There are reasons for estate planning other than passing on your assets like stating your wishes regarding end-of-life care, naming a guardian for your children; powers of attorney to make financial and health care decisions for you, etc. Even small estates can require considerable administrative work.
- Costs. Yes, estate planning has a cost, but so does buying a house, stock, life insurance, a phone and/or computer, or any number of things that make our lives better. With estate planning, you are paying for the peace of mind that comes with knowing your affairs are in order.
- Time demands. Estate planning will require a certain amount of time and effort but your Florida and Palm Beach County estate planning lawyer at Comiter, Singer, Baseman & Braun will approach your estate planning efficiently and effectively .
- Complexity. Estate planning can be complex, with a series of inter-dependant documents required. A Florida and Palm Beach County estate planning lawyer at Comiter, Singer, Baseman & Braun will handle it all for you – that is why you rely on the professionals.
- Family issues. Long-simmering issues often come to a head if a family member feels slighted. There are often disputes and lingering bad feelings when would-be beneficiaries feel slighted. However, these feelings would exist anyway and are simply delayed until the donor’s passing, when you cannot explain your reasoning.
- Being unaware of the consequences of not having an estate plan. Most people do not understand the scope and/or benefits of proper estate planning and see only the concerns, which makes the whole process easier in their eyes because they do not have to learn about it and therefore do not have to do it. At Comiter, Singer, Baseman & Braun, we will take away that excuse and teach you even as we create your customized estate plan.
- Uncertainty of where to start. This concern is easily remedied. Simply contact a Florida and Palm Beach County estate planning attorney and we will start from the beginning.
How Can a Florida and Palm Beach County Estate Planning Lawyer Help You Address Your Estate Planning Issues?
A Florida and Palm Beach County estate planning attorney at Comiter, Singer, Baseman & Braun can examine any existing trust documentation to see if there are any unusual clauses or red flags raised. When we find any type of suspicious terms or conditions, we can conduct a thorough, independent investigation to see if everything lines up with the various donor expectations. We can also draft the trust documents from the beginning and implement the trust in the proper way.
Let an Experienced Florida and Palm Beach County Estate Planning Attorney Address Your Estate Planning Concerns
Our attorneys are skilled and experienced with estate planning, and we can help you, too. Contact us today for your initial consultation.